Wednesday, February 3, 2010

DON'T ASK DON'T TELL

The idea that you could be discharge from the service for being gay is offensive to civil rights. Generals spoke yesterday to congress about this and they are in favor of doing away with Don't ask Don't tell. Why cant a soldier, who has voluntered to protect America with his life be able to let someone know he is gay. The right wing says that this will cause body art and other objective behaivor. well the military has a low that instructs service people on how to dress and act. Gays will obey this law and not show up with lipstick or anything.
When I was in Vietnam we picked up a marine who was wounded in our med evac helicopter. Another marine came to Da Nang to see how his friend was doing. thankfully the Marine was not mortally wounded. He had the bullet removed and would rest and then return to duty. When I took the friend to see him I could see the tears in their eyes and they said I love you. Afterwoods while I was talking to the marine outside he told me they were in love. This marine confided in me and I said nothing. Later we went for coffee and spent some time together. We even went to take a shower and he was in their with me and nothing at all happened or was said. I kept in touch with them and they visited me in New York after we were discharge from the service. yes they were still together. We went out had a few drinks and remembered all the guys who did not return home from Viet Nam.
Why should people have to lie about who they are in the service.
I also think they should be allowed to get married. It about time.

No comments:

Post a Comment